Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Break-Up

Now why you ask would a matchmaker decide to write about breaking up?!?!   It could be purely a numbers thing - they are more common then happily ever after. I am really not trying to be negative I am just saying that I have had to say "this is not going to work" or "it's not you, it's me" (kidding) more than I have said "this is it, he's the one" or even "I love you". Or it could be that I was inspired by yet another public break up on Sunday at the Chargers game (BEFORE the end of the game and they left the stadium and we have amazing seats!).
Whatever the reason, the fact of the matter is...they happen. In fact, Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn even made a movie about it called (oddly) The Break-Up. My point is EVERYONE can relate and no one is immune. Sunny & Cher, Princess Di & Prince Charles, Henry VII & Catherine of Aragon, Brad & Jennifer...the list goes on and on.

How not to do it -

If you have been dating for more than a few weeks, have the bollucks to do it live and not publicly!

Facebook - remember the man who left his wife via a status update.
Text message or Email
Post-it - remember when Berger dumped Carrie on Sex & the City

Now what?

Some would say this is where men & women differ. Guys head straight to a strip club or a bar with their buddies and the "incident" is never mentioned. Girls tend to surround themselves with their girlfriends watch romantic comedies, drink wine (or bubbly) and eat chocolate. They typically talk about it - mostly the friends tell her how great she is and what a HUGE mistake the guy is making or how INCREDIBLY miserable he is going to be.

I wish I had a checklist for this one but I don't - there is really no right way to do it, no perfect way to handle it (Fatal Attraction is not the answer) and there isn't really a timeline for when you will move on. Just know you will!

happily,
kim

No comments:

Post a Comment